RE: Transmission Transplant

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Transmission Transplant
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 13:17:12 -0800
>       Well I am finally getting Casper's flywheel back from the
> machinist, and I have been checking for new bolts and stuff, I find
> the Parts manual lists a Stanpart stud as
>       number V.3718...

Might be a typo, mine says V7318.

> I found the stud in the service  manual and
> it says I need three of them, there were NONE  when I removed  the
> old TR4 transmission.

The studs are different lengths for different transmissions, as the flange
thickness changed more than once.  That may be why your DPO removed the
studs.

>  Further the Service  manual says they are
> 5/16 x 18 NC and NF,  I  am thinking that means one end NC  and the
> other NF,  the remaining bolt  holes all  seem to be NC ( 5/16 x 18).

Yes, that's right.  The threads in the block are NC, the nuts were NF.

> If this is  correct then can  someone tell  me  the relative
> "o'clock" positions  of  the studs?  The service manual only shows
> one at about 7:00 o'clock.

Bill, you've lost me here.  7 o'clock is at the bottom of my clock, the
transmission doesn't even touch the engine at that position.  Check Fig 5 in
the gearbox chapter of the workshop manual, you can see the studs sticking
out in the top 3 holes (which I would call 11, 12 and 1 o'clock).

>       Also,  when I removed  the  old  transmission a metal plate
> dropped  out of the front, it is flat  on top and rounded on the
> bottom,  has  4 bolt holes and a slight  lip on the curved bottom,
> does the lip  face the transmission  or the  engine?

The lip faces the engine, the flat side is bolted to the transmission face.
It's just a dust cover, helps keep rocks out of the flywheel teeth.

Randall