TR7/8 Seat Removal

To: Mike Madden <MMadden@samhealth.org>
Subject: TR7/8 Seat Removal
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 14:58:02 -0500
Cc: "Triumph List (triumphs@autox.team.net)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "TR8 List (tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu)" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h06K27RO012559
Message text written by Mike Madden
>I am trying to remove the seats in my TR8 to install new carpet.  I was
able
to get the drivers side out, but the passenger side is giving me problems.
Two of the bolts will not loosen.  I've tried Liquid Wrench with no luck.
It's hard to get leverage on them because I am using an allen wrench.
<

Don't tell me, let me guess, they are the inboard bolts, right?  They are
the only two (of the four) that extend through the floorboard.  The others
screw into captive nuts within the cabin.  If you can get enough leverage
on the allen wrench you'll snap the heads off of the bolts (which are
Torx(R), BTW, not allen head) so perhaps you'll be better off getting some
heat on the weld nuts.  If you can borrow an oxy-acetylene torch you can
heat the nuts up enough to get them soft and the bolts will come right out
and you won't have the problem I had where I snapped the bolt off and had
to drill the bolt out.

Dave Massey