RE: TR3 Gauge Mounting Rings

To: "Triumph Internet Mail List." <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Gauge Mounting Rings
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 20:22:07 -0800
> Are the gauge rings for a TR3 that the big 3 parts dealers sell used
> between the gauge and the dash or are these the ones that go between
> the glass and the gauge face?

They are sold to go between the dash and the gauge; but reportedly work
between the chrome bezel and the glass.  I don't believe there is supposed
to be a ring between the glass and the face.

>  My 3 did not have rings between the
> gauge and the dash when I dismantled.

I'm reasonably sure they were there originally, even though they don't
appear in the factory Spare Parts Catalog, at least for the small gauges.
There's even one on my NOS Smith's gauges, which suggests that they don't
appear in the SPC because they were considered part of the gauge.

> Also, MOSS shows there should
> be rubber washer under the knobs on the switches.  Again, my switches
> had no such washer.  Would this not effect the ability of the switch
> to be pushed all the way in?

Wow, I'd never noticed those before, but they're even listed in the SPC.  A
quick check of some original switches and knobs show that even with the
plunger pushed in as far as it will go, there is still .025" - .030" between
the knob and the switch.  Plus, the knob has to be out at least 1/8" for the
switch to make contact.  So, the washers probably do hold the knobs out a
little, by design, but it doesn't hurt anything.

> BTW, the rings that the guy is selling on eBay (which I bought) are
> pretty useless if used under the glass and if for the seal between
> the gauge and the dash, they are really flimsy and would most
> likely be ineffective.?

The guy on eBay was making a big deal of having the correct flat gaskets,
which probably means they wouldn't work very well under the bezel either.
The ones I got from TRF are definitely round in cross-section.

Between the gage and dash, it doesn't take much, IMO.  Yes, the originals
were probably flat, but once the O-ring is mashed by the gauge, I don't
think anyone will notice it was originally round <g>

Randall