RE: Oil Treatment question (rant, little LBC)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Oil Treatment question (rant, little LBC)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 15:49:24 -0800
ZoboHerald@aol.com wrote :

> Admittedly, I've used STP, but only as an assembly lube.

Well, as long as we're doing true confessions ... I've actually used it as
an engine oil additive.  It's basically a viscosity 'improver'; it gave me a
cheap way to put very heavy oil into a dying engine, in an attempt to
prolong the inevitable.  As I recall, 10W40 was the heaviest oil commonly
available at the time, 5 qts of cheap 30 weight plus a can of STP was
cheaper and thicker.  'Motor Honey' was similar.

Probably not bad as an assembly lube either, it's seriously sticky stuff.
Truck drivers used to use it to lubricate their fifth wheels, not sure if
they still do or not.

IMO Bardahl and it's like (Rislone, Casite, etc) had it's place too, but
again only on very sick engines.  I once worked on a Dodge that had only
been driven 24k miles in 10 years, apparently without ever having the oil
changed ... we ran several cans of Casite through it trying to get the rings
unstuck.  Did finally get them loose, and the son of the former owner drove
it for several years after that.

Randall