RE: LBC, non-Triumph question- longish

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: LBC, non-Triumph question- longish
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 13:25:33 -0800
> My questions are these- I noticed when I first got in, that the
> seats, despite being leather, seemed a good deal harder than my
> mom's Lincoln, which also has leather seats. Being used to cloth
> or vinyl, it seemed a little harsh, especially for a "luxury" car.

Leather has to be 'fed' from time to time, or it does dry out and get hard.
My previous TR3A had the original leather facings, which had been neglected
for many years and felt like wood !

I'd suggest starting with some saddle soap to clean them, and then some
'hide food'.  Both are available in any leather or shoe shop, perhaps even
at your local grocery store (next to the shoe polish).  Don't delay (if you
do buy the car) as the leather will also shrink and eventually pull the
seams apart if it's not tended to.

> Next, I noticed a bit of road bump when driving at low speeds- I
> attribute this to the tires- by "road bump" I mean I felt like I
> could feel every stone and pebble the car went over. When I
> increased speed, this feeling seemed to disappear. Could this be
> hard or overinflated tires?

My vote is for tires, especially if the car passes the 'bounce' test at each
corner.  You should certainly check the inflation, but some steel radials
just ride like this, early Michelins were famous for it.  Check the "ride
quality" rating when you investigate replacement tires.

> Anyone need a 1988 Ford
> F150 or 1969 Plymouth Belvedere?

Is it a rag top ?

Randall