RE: FW: TR6 rear brakes

To: ralittle2@mindspring.com
Subject: RE: FW: TR6 rear brakes
From: "bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net" <bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 10:00:12 -0500 FILETIME=[794EC2A0:01C2BB14] 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h0DF4SRO009702
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Hmm, Revington seems to imply that beefing up the rear brakes could lead
>to premature rear axle failure.  Comments?
Well I don't really see how.  Unless the brakes are mounted inboard, which
would use the axles as torque shafts creating unusual reverse loads, the
axles don't even come into play when you stomp on the brakes except to
basically hold the wheel in place.  There is virtually no torque reaction
other than the existing rotational mass of the shafts and associated drive
train parts on the axles during braking.  By simply making the brakes more
affective, these loads arent increased much if any-