RE: Installing Polyurethane Bushings

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Installing Polyurethane Bushings
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:12:39 -0800
> I was advised to use marine bearing grease (for boat trailers).  I guess
> because of some property I haven't figured out...doesn't regular
> old grease
> stand up to water too, it certainly does on my hands?

My understanding is that ordinary grease is basically oil thickened with a
'soap'.  I know from observation that they will eventually decompose if kept
wet constantly (typically turning white first as the oil drops out of
solution).  Dunno what's different about marine grease, but it's definitely
different (CV joint grease is also highly water resistant).

Here's a web page I found with a little quick Googling :
http://www.prod.exxon.com/exxon_productdata/lube_encyclopedia/grease.html

Randall