Re:  Was Radiator

To: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Subject: Re:  Was Radiator
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:34:18 -0700
Cc: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>, John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>, Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
ZoboHerald@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/16/2003 7:34:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, Paul  Burr
><tigerpb@ids.net> writes:
>
> >Is it just me, or are shops that do this type of work evaporating off
> >the face of the earth?
> >There used to be dozens of radiator shops, alt/gen/starter rebuilders,
> >automotive machine shops, etc. in my area.
> >Every year, a few more close up. The end result of the use it and toss
> >modern car?
>
> I think so, Paul, along with those mechanics who could actually diagnose a
>problem and fix it rather than continue to swap in new parts until the problem
>seemed to diminish sufficiently. Sadly, more and more shops seem to be "parts
>counter sales enhancement areas" rather than "service departments"!
>
> --Andy Mace

Further, on the situation with radiators, most of toady's units cannot
be repaired.  They are made from molded plastic tanks and alunimun
tubes/fins.  THis reduces weight but makes them throw-away.  Thus all a
radiator shop would do is install a new one.

With electrical components like starters and generators/alternators,
there are such good deals from auto parts stores on rebuilt units that
small shops cannot compete.  These rebuilt units come from very large
companies that supply their units to a variety of resellers.  It is sort
of like the big warehouse stores edging out all the mom and pop
businesses.  Sad, but true.

Joe