The saints go revving in not directly Triumph related

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: The saints go revving in not directly Triumph related
From: "Ron L'Herault" <lherault@bu.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:38:07 -0500
This is a bit of cross over interest for me.  I own a TR 6 and so enjoy the
sound of a well tuned engine, but I also play Dixieland trombone and enjoy
the sound of a well tuned band.  the link below kind of combines the two.

Ron L.

----
http://astro.temple.edu/~kmr/Chauffe2.mp3

     First you'll hear a 10-cylinder, 750 horsepower Asiatech F1
     engine being warmed up. Then it performs a rousing version
     of "When The Saints Come Marching In", to the delight of
     assembled pit staff and journalists.

     Here's how the magic was achieved (technical/musical details
     via F1 Racing magazine):

     As we all know, a V10 engine produces five combustions per
     revolution at a frequency per second of 60/(5 x revs per
     minute), which equals 12/rpm. Therefore, to work out the
     revs you need to hit a particular musical note, you multiply
     the note's frequency by 12. To play a 440Hz 'A', for example,
     you need 5,280rpm.  For 'C', use 3,139rpm, for 'F' 4,191rpm,
     and so on.

     Asiatech's French technicians (the engine, despite its name,
     is derived from a Peugeot design) simply programmed their
     engine to run through the various rev/note ranges in the
     correct sequence. The result is delightful.