Newbie Questions:

To: "INTERNET:CarlSereda@aol.com" <CarlSereda@aol.com>
Subject: Newbie Questions:
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:07:35 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <jburruso@earthlink.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h0KJDa70006334
Message text written by INTERNET:CarlSereda@aol.com
>Regarding hood buldges - only early TR4s had short bulge - believe the
long
bulge was incorporated to help keep the hood rigid (the plunger catch is in

that area and folks were kinking their hoods I hear..
<

Carl, I am doubious of that explaination.  Afterall, the TR6 has a hood
(bonnet) of essentially the same design and has no bulge at all.  The
reason I heard (read) was that the bigger bulge made more room for the carb
domes which would impact the underside of the hood (bonnet) on the short
bubble cars.  I can vouch for this problem as my first TR4 (now deceased)
had a short bubble with a small ding from the inside.

The bulge became less critical with the conversion to Strombergs and
totally unecessary on the TR5/250 but was retained as a styling cue.

Cheers

Dave
57 TR3 (no bulge)
63 TR4 (CT25XX - now deceased)