Re: Barrett Jackson...NOT! :-)

To: ralittle2@mindspring.com, pethier@isd.net, jrhill@chorus.net, 6pack@autox.team.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Barrett Jackson...NOT! :-)
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:12:00 EST
In a message dated 1/20/2003 2:07:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ralittle2@mindspring.com writes:

> Andy, I agree with some of what you say, but I would tend to disagree with
> the example of the Barrett-Jackson auction.  B-J has developed a great
> reputation and seems to be growing by leaps and bounds.  If cars that had
> been auctioned off were found out to be bBondo specialsb or similar,
that
> would reflect badly on B-J, and their business would suffer greatly.  So in
> this regard, I would disagree

So would I in that case. But my comment was not aimed at the B-J auction,
only at a broader generalization that happened to appear in an e-mail still
carrying the "auction" subject line.

But to carry this one step further (and risk either more misinterpretation or
further dental damage from "foot in mouth"), it doesn't surprise me in the
least that "professional restorers" could make money -- at auction or in
private sale -- by restoring and selling cars. It's even conceivable that the
best of the do-it-yourselfers among us could make money as well restoring
cars. But for the vast majority of us, we would effectively be working for
ourselves for pennies an hour and/or eat up most or all potential profit in
whatever work we would have to "subcontract" to professional shops.

--Andy Mace

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've
got it made." -- Groucho Marx