My TR4 Speedo Update

To: "Triumphs" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: My TR4 Speedo Update
From: "Tim I. Purdy" <timipurdy@citlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:39:49 -0600
First of all, I want to thank everyone who responded in my dire need to fix
and/or replace my speedo.  I am kind of back to square one, in part of my
ignorance, and look forward to being educated by the wonderful folks on this
list. I also apologize for not responding now, but in here in the mountains of
Northeastern California with afternoon temps of about 50, I have been out
driving the TR4 with the top down, as I was never able to put the top because
it turned really cold in late October.

Anyhow, my TR4 is a 1964, standard transmission.  The numbers on the facia of
the speed appears:  SN 6325 OOA  208182 and 1184.

My questions are - do these numbers need to match for a replacement?  I have
received several offers from folks on this list willing to help me out of my
predicament, so I need some assistance knowing what these numbers are and what
will or will not work.  Out of curiosity, to enrichen my life why, as some
folks informed me privately, that there are two types of speedos, one for
standard and the other with an overdrive.  Why the difference?

Thanks All - Tim