Oil Pressure Gage Calibration Check

To: "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Pressure Gage Calibration Check
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:54:38 -0500
I recently put my early TR6 oil pressure gage on a NIST-traceable pressure
calibrator. I checked the actual pressure required to get the gage to read 2
kg/cm2, 50 PSI, and 5 kg/cm2. The calibration is way off! Here is what I
found:

Gage Reading    Calibrator
PSI (kg/m2)       PSI
28 (2)             33
50 (3.5)           62
71 (5)             90

I remember someone on the list saying that the readings went higher as the
gage aged -- possibly because the tube inside became fatigued and easier to
move. Doesn't look like that's the case with mine. Maybe the tube actually
becomes work hardened and harder to move or maybe things get gummed up and
there's higher friction.

My hot oil pressure at 2000-3000 RPM was dipping below 50 PSI as indicated
by the gage and I was a bit worried because I just rebuilt the engine. I
guess it was really reading 60!

Anyway, keep this in mind next time there's a "Mine's bigger than yours"
discussion about oil pressure.

Regards,
Hugh Fader