RE: Oil Pressure Gage Calibration Check

To: "''triumphs' '" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil Pressure Gage Calibration Check
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:20:50 -0800
> Is there any chance that the original gauge is designed to be
> accurate with
> the engine oil warm? This would explain your observation that the tube was
> "stiff".

The Bourdon tube in these gages is brass (at least the ones I've had apart,
which admittedly came from TR4 and TR3), which does work harden.  So,
regardless of how accurately the factory did, or did not, calibrate them;
the calibration drifts with usage.  However, the work hardening isn't into
the "zero shape", so a tired gage may actually read high at low pressures.
This tends to be more noticeable, people consider a gage that does not
return to 0 defective, but it's the same process.

> Now to get the look right I am examining replacing
> with a Smiths electric I see is on the site of that company repairing and
> selling their gauges.

Let us know what you learn, Mark, as I am planning to add one of the Gower
Oaks electric oil pressure gages to my Stag (in place of the clock).

For anyone else interested, the web site is at
http://www.gower-oaks.co.uk/
They don't have a photo of the gage I want, but it's a variant of
http://www.gower-oaks.co.uk/smithp8A.gif
with a black face, and black, half-vee bezel

Randall