Re: Home for old computer parts? ??????? and LBC wastes

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Home for old computer parts? ??????? and LBC wastes
From: Don Spence <dspence@oanet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:29:22 -0700
Paul Paul...

What types of hazardous materials are in electronics?

*    Approximately 5-7 pounds of lead are in each monitor (the radiation
shield in the Cathode Ray Tube).
*    Electronics have replaced batteries as the largest single source of
heavy metals in the municipal waste stream.
*    Consumer electronics contribute 40% of the lead found in landfills.
*    Computers, cell phones, and TV screens contain lead, brominated flame
retardants and other toxics, but are frequently disposed of in solid waste
landfills.
*    Other toxics of concern in electronics include: mercury, cadmium,
hexavalent chromium.
*    Unsafe levels of brominated flame retardants have been found in blood
tests of workers dismantling electronics.

For more info on what's in em and how and where to dispose of them properly
visit.

http://www.epa.gov/region09/waste/solid/electronics.html

As for batteries, do like I do. Save them in an old coffee can and take them
to the hazardous waste facility. If your community doesn't provide this
service lobby for it, and in the meantime, check with your local Radio
Shack. Here in Canada they collect and safely dispose of dead batteries.

The same goes for LBC waste: oil, antifreeze, dead batteries etc. .... all
contain stuff better recycled, reused or safely disposed of. I don't know
about you, but I have friends who live downstream, drink the river water,
whose kids play in the alley, and whose pets roam and drink from puddles.
I do make the effort to properly dispose of hazardous products. Fortunately
I live in a city that operates two eco stations, a "blue Box" program for
recylclibles, and a mega composter for bio waste. (Grass clippings, kitchen
waste etc.) The infrastructure is there and most people do their part and
use it.

Cheers
Don