Re: And now for something completely different (no LBC)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: And now for something completely different (no LBC)
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:52:37 +0000
On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, at around 00:07:47 local time, Mark Hooper
<mhooper@pixelsystems.com> wrote:

>My doorbell looks like what can only be described as a very large rifle
>cartridge. The bullet is not there since it has been fired (thus allowing me
>to turn it into a doorbell with less risk than hammering an unfired
>cartridge to make a sound). ;^) It is about 18" long and 3 1/2" across the
>base. All brass. It has several markings on the base, spaced around the
>firing hole. (I still have the firing pin which is another bullet-like
>perforated brass shape that screws into the firing hole).

Dear Mark,

No you don't.   The firing pin is something completely different!   What
you have there is the detonator.

>On top it says "6PR7CWT" with an "I" and small "m" under.

So, a shell case from a QF 6-pounder, 7-hundredweight Anti-Tank gun,
WWII-era.   Here's a bit of background on the gun from the Probert
Encyclopaedia:

"The QF 6pdr 7cwt Gun Mk 2 was a British 57 mm calibre anti-tank gun
produced from 1941 to the 1950s and used as both an infantry towed
anti-tank weapon and turret mounted in tanks. The American army also
adopted it and called it the 57 mm M1. The QF 6pdr 7cwt Gun Mk 2 fired a
tungsten-cored armour-piercing round and later was the first gun to use
sabot shot as its standard round. The QF 6pdr 7cwt Gun Mk 2 had an
effective range of 1500 meters and could penetrate 74 mm of armour at
1000 meters with standard AP shells (with a muzzle velocity of 821
meters-per-second) and 146 mm at 1000 meters with sabot rounds (with a
muzzle velocity of 1235 meters-per-second)."

>On the left it shows "LOT" with an 850 under

Batch number (?)

>On the right it has "ECC"

That will be the manufacturer, but I don't recognise the initials (about
100 years too modern for my area of expertise!).

>On the bottom it has a small "61F and an up arrow" and a large "1943", the
>date I guess.

The "Broad Arrow" shows that it was the property of the War Office -
i.e., this is British.   1943 is indeed the date of manufacture.   61F
is likely to be an inspector's stamp.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FM105671