Re: TR3A Disk brake lining wear + 3:1wear factor

To: <Popnglo@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A Disk brake lining wear + 3:1wear factor
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:51:44 -0800
> Regarding centering, Don't recall exactly whether there were shims, but I
> think so. If there were they went in just the same. I suppose this
centering
> could explain it, but a bit cold (15 F) so I'll have to wait until it gets
> warmer to check.
>
> As I said, I need now to replace the pads and intend to get them from TRF.
> I'll check the centering closely. Any suggestions on checking? Any
experiance
> with the TRF pads?

FWIW, I don't think that centering is the root of your problem. Perhaps the
pads on the "close" side will wear a little faster during the first few
miles as they rub a little harder during normal driving, but the shims are
rather thin and making up the difference in offsets wouldn't be very
noticeable.  When you apply the brakes, if all is operating properly, the
pressure will equalize across both pads and the wear should be the same
regardless of the centering.  In other words, one pad may reach the rotor
faster, but as soon as it meets resistance  the other one will catch up.  At
least that's how I think it works.

Of course, you could just switch pads ;) (no, there is something wrong there
and you have to find out what it is before it results in a braking failure)

Bob