Re: why wont she start

To: <JutH1685@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: why wont she start
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:13:54 -0800
From: <JutH1685@aol.com>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2003 10:19 AM

> success this afternoon!  but only for 5 seconds!  i PROPERLY applied the
> starting fluid into the carbs and cranked the engine.  it fired, reved,
then
> stalled, so i think maybe there is a problem with fuel delivery?  im
leaving
> it in the sun this afternoon, but its only 16? degrees so we will wait and
> see.  if that doesnt work, any suggestions?  thanks!
>
> justin
> juth1685@aol.com

Suggestion #1: Go inside, get a big fire going in the fireplace, and make
yourself a nice hot toddy.  Stay there until spring.
Suggestion #2: Ok, so if you are really determined to get this thing
running, a) put dry gas in the tank. Give it a chance to work. b) disconnect
the fuel line at the carbs, put the end of the fuel line into a jar, and
crank the engine.  If the jar fills up, the problem is in the carbs.  c) if
there is no gas there, then work backwards.  Start with the easy, replace
any gas filters.  Then disconnect the line before the fuel pump, if gas
flows (assuming you are not on a steep hill)- you probably need a fuel pump,
if not keep workin back until you find the blockage - could be ice in the
tank.  BTW, are you sure there is gas in the tank?

d) You got fuel into the jar, therefore everything should be ok up to the
carbs. Check the floats - are the bowls full? Then the valves may be stuck
or dirty (or frozen).  At this point it would be hepful to know what kind of
carbs you have.

Hope that helps.

Bob