RE: TR4 Radio

To: "Triumphs" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Radio
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 07:41:45 -0800
> Can anyone help me with the radio.  Electrical, is not one of my
> specialities.
> It is an original radio, only AM.

That unfortunately doesn't tell us which radio it is, since cars destined
for North America rarely if ever had radios fitted by the factory.  Because
of problems with theft in transit, the cars were shipped with no radio and
the dealers installed a variety of different radio models; some branded
'Triumph' and some not.

>  That is fine with me, because where I
> reside in remote
> Northeastern California radio reception is poor.  I replaced the
> attenae last
> summer, checked one fuse, but it still does not work.  I think
> probably it is
> not hooked up properly and that was something the previous owner,
> did was to
> disconnect.  The two different manuals that I possess,
> unfortunately, does not
> contain anything about radio's or the connection.  Any advice would be
> appreciated.

I have a modest collection of service information for early car radios,
which includes the Triumph model 5BTR (positive ground) and 5BTRP (negative
ground).  Looking at both of these, I see no protection against reverse
polarity (which was common back then); which means that connecting the
battery backwards will damage the radio instantly, faster than any auto fuse
could possibly blow.  Likewise, connecting power to the speaker leads will
destroy the output transistor instantly.

So, the unhappy likelihood is that your radio does not work.  They are
repairable of course, fairly easily for someone that knows how, as long as
the unit is in good mechanical shape.  There are still commercial operations
that provide such services, but there sure aren't many of them !

One that I found just now is
http://members.cox.net/dcosby1/

Randall