Re: TR4 Radio

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 Radio
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:08:40 -0700
"Tim I. Purdy" wrote:

> Can anyone help me with the radio.  Electrical, is not one of my specialities.
> It is an original radio, only AM.

Tim,

When I got my TR4 it had the original radio which did not work.  I soon
discovered
that the PO had installed the battery backwards -- converting the car to
negative
ground by brute force.  The amazing thing was that after righting the battery
connections the radio worked fine, I really didn't expect it to have survived
that
ordeal.

Anyway -- the radio wiring is truly simple.  A ground wire (probably black) and
hot wire (possibly with an inline fuse).  The radio may say somewhere that it is
positive ground though this may have been on a paper tag on the hot wire and now
be long gone.

Assuming the radio is + ground (since you say it is original) then you need only
assure that your vehicle is still + ground, then connect the ground wire to any
good ground under the dash (lots of screws handy that bolt to the dash supports,
etc).

The hot wire goes to a hot (+) power source.  You want it fused and a common way
is to use an inline fuse.  There are lots places you might connect it -- the
solenoid, an A post of the voltage regulator, even the battery.  Places behind
the
dash too but you might find that inconvenient.

I would start (after confirning you are still + ground) by wiring it up
temporarily with a speaker and antenna to see if it will work, then sort out the
final connection.

Geo Hahn
64 TR4
Mt Lemmon AZ