TR-3 Rear Shocks

To: "D&B Lambert" <blambert@socal.rr.com>
Subject: TR-3 Rear Shocks
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 15:28:11 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h29KaB4V012690
Message text written by "D&B Lambert"
>How can I tell if/when the rear shocks on my TR-3A are worn out?  The rear
of the car seems to "skip" a bit when I encounter a bump during cornering,
especially at higher speeds.  I immediately thought to replace the rear
shocks, and so purchased a pair of rebuilts.  Upon removing the old shocks,
I find that the levers of the rebuilt shocks move with about an equal
amount
of force (by hand)  as the levers of the old ones I just removed.  I'm
thinking the old ones are original, but can't be sure. The old ones say
Armstrong, while the rebuilts don't.  Am I just wasting my money installing
new shocks that "feel" the same as the old ones?
<

In addition to Randall's advice I would like to add the recomendation of
checking the condition of the shock links.  I replaced the shocks in my TR3
when, in hindsight, it was the totally knackered shock link was the
probable culprit.

Also ensure that the shock mounting bolts are sufficiently tightened to
prevent the shocks themselves from moving on the mounts (another problem I
had).

Thirdly, if you replace the hex head bolts with socket head bolts the need
for a thin wall socket is replaced with a more commonly available allen
wrench.

That's what I did anyway.

Cheers and good luck.

Dave