RE: TR3 steering

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 steering
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:41:38 -0400
> Revington offers an improved steering box top plate that
> "incorporates a spring-loaded pin, which keeps the rocker pin firmly
> in contact with the scroll, thus removing unwanted 'slop' from the
> steering."
>
> Has anyone tried one of these and, if so, are there any "ya shoulda
> known before you bought" tips that I should know before I buy?

Bob, my advice is to run, not walk, to the nearest exit.  Haven't tried it
myself, but IMO it's a non-solution to a non-problem.  With a properly setup
box, there is only play when the steering is off-center (ie in a turn) and
then the centering forces from the front suspension will hold the box
against one side of the play.  The ONLY time you can feel the play is if you
hit a big bump or rock during a turn.

Dennis, I know you're lurking out there, how about relating your experiences
?

FWIW, I finally rebuilt my steering box a few years ago, and was absolutely
amazed at the difference it made.  The car now steers easily, even with 10"
wide sticky radial tires; most of the time I even park with one hand.  I
used a dial indicator to get the end float right, my attempt to do it "by
hand" left .004" end play.

> Also too, and comments on Revington's "Improved steering idler
> incorporating oilite bushes"?

The concept is at least sound (unlike the spring loaded steering box), I've
been considering it myself.

Randall