RE: thrust washers

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: thrust washers
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:32:18 -0400
> First post here, but I've been lurking for a while.

Welcome to the list, Ron!

> Pinning thrust washers,yea or nay.

I don't have a TR6, but this looks like a very worthwhile modification
(assuming of course that you mean pinning one half so you can add a second
set of washers).  From what I've heard and read, it appears that the TR6
motor simply has too little thrust area, and doubling it will greatly
increase (more than twice, perhaps 3 or 4 times) the life of the thrust
washers.  Considering the rather extreme damage that can result if a washer
drops out, I can't see any reason to ever not do this.  I'll be doing it to
my Stag soon (which apparently suffers the same TW problems as the TR6 for
the same reason).

> Spitfire cam bearings,yea or nay

Likewise worthwhile, IMO, but considering the cost I might well put it off
until the original cam bores were significantly worn.  I find it interesting
that Standard-Triumph actually started doing this modification themselves to
the TR2-4 motor, but didn't put cam bearing inserts in most of their other
motors.  Cost cutting decision by Leyland ?

> Any advice regarding severe pitting on camshaft and lifters?

When you buy replacements, ask about hardening.  If the vendor "doesn't
know", either get them tested or find another vendor.  Personally, I would
buy from Ken Gillanders at BFE, but Ken is a friend of mine so I may be
prejudiced.  And I don't know if he handles stock cams or not.

Kas Kastner has advised to let the engine run at fast idle, without
"blipping" the throttle, for 15-20 minutes at first startup.  He claims this
greatly extends the life of the lifters.

> How did you find  MO-MA? Just curious since I live in Albuquerque.

If memory serves, I first heard them mentioned on this list.  I've not tried
them myself, but everything I've heard and seen has been positive.  They are
also mentioned on the "Monster List" at :
http://bosphorus.dimebank.com/monster/vendors.html
Besides, with a name like Margaret Lucas, how can it be bad <g>

I'd like to encourage everyone to contribute their experiences to the
Monster List for others to read.  Some of the comments are getting really
old, it would be nice to know which vendors have endured and which are
fading away.  Email your comments, good and bad (but just the facts, please,
save the insults for this list) to Chris Kantarjiev (sp?) at
cak@dimebank.com  He is likewise eager to hear of new vendors to add to the
list.

Randall