Re: GT6/TR6 engines

To: Angelo Graham <a3graham@admmail.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: GT6/TR6 engines
From: mporter@zianet.com
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 18:07:34 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Angelo Graham writes:

> Hello List:
>  A friend is looking at a very nice '69 GT6 available locally. Wondering
> on the similarities/differences between the GT6 & TR6 engines? They sure
> look alike.
> Also, what makes a GT6 a GT6+?
> Any particular soft spots in GT6s'?

GT6 engines are 2-liter, TR6s 2.5 liter (stroke increase on the TR6). Early
TR6 (and TR250) engines have the intake and exhaust ports in line, while
intake and exhausts are staggered on later (late `72 onward?) TR6 engines.
Virtually all (except the very earliest) GT6 engines have the ports
staggered. Otherwise, there's considerable similarity between the engines.

The GT6+ is the US version of the GT6 Mk II. The seats were slightly
different between US and domestic British versions, and, IIRC, the heated
backglass was standard in the US, while it optional in the UK.

The soft spots are the compromises borrowed from the Spit. The gearbox and
diff are marginal over the long term. They are beefed-up versions of early
Spit items, but the additional torque is still hard on them. Braking power
is reasonably good, since most versions use the same front caliper as the
TR6.

Other than that, I've had rear axle bearings fail (could have been due to
some atrocious maintenance before I got the car), and while the Rotoflex
joints are an improvement over the earlier Spit swing axle arrangement on
the Mk Is, the joints themselves are a maintenance item. Depending on rate
of environmental degradation, the joints require replacement about every
50,000 miles--most typically, the bond between the rubber and metal parts
fails, and then the rubber begins to tear.

The other problem that almost everyone complains about is high interior
temperatures on longer trips. Those with hood louvers fared a bit better
than later versions without them. The only low-cost answer to that problem
is insulation under the carpeting and very careful sealing of the tunnel
cover. Doing those things help. Because of where I live, I'm poking around
now and then for a/c parts I might adapt to the `70 GT6+ I'm (still) working
on.

Cheers. Hope that helps.