Re: GT6/TR6 engines

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6/TR6 engines
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 20:09:00 -0400
On 3 Sep 2003 at 18:20, Angelo Graham wrote:
>   A friend is looking at a very nice '69 GT6 available locally. Wondering
> on the similarities/differences between the GT6 & TR6 engines? They sure
> look alike.
> Also, what makes a GT6 a GT6+?
> Any particular soft spots in GT6s'?

I'll let the mechanics of the list contribute the real stuff, but I
can tell you a few things.

The engines are the same design, a 2-cylinder expansion of the
Spitfire engine.  However the GT6 is 2 liters, the TR6 is 2.5 due to
a longer stroke.  The GT6 version revs better, but both have the same
thrust washer weakness.  Also the TR6 has a better clutch
arrangement, IMHO, and is usually mated to a stronger gearbox.

GT6+ is the American designation for the GT6 Mk2, produced
(nominally) in '69 and '70.  It had a bunch of major improvements
over the original GT6 (not named Mk 1 because at that time they
didn't expect to make another).  The biggest difference was the rear
suspension, changed from swing axles to a clever variant of IRS,
though if the original GT6 was equiped with a Kastner camber
compensator it worked better than the original factory swing axles
too.  There were some engine upgrades, the interior was made nicer,
and the body was given extra louvers and better ventilation for the
interior.

Soft spots?  Well, umm, they are all rather old!  First, the usual
rust items, though with a separate frame and body they aren't quite
the same as when a Honda unibody rots away.  The gearbox is weak.  It
has the smaller Lucas alternator (I believe), but that isn't
necessarily a problem per se.  The GT6+ version and pre-73 versions
of the Mk 3 have Rotoflex ujoints on the halfshafts.

Okay, folks, what did I leave out?

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com