Re: the Amphicar, reborn...

To: "Dave Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: the Amphicar, reborn...
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 16:17:22 -0700
Cc: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Message text written by INTERNET:gprtech@frontiernet.net
> >If I was billionaire, I'd certainly get one. But since I'm not, I'd bet
> I could build a car with those capabilities for less.
>
> Wouldn't be a production car though.
>
> Some fiberglass bodied car (Fiero?), lightened and sealed up to be
> buoyant. Foamed in panels for flotation.
> Gasoline engine running a generating system capable of supplying .
> electricity to motorized wheels (4WD?) or an electric water jet.
>
> I've worked on similar hybrid electric vehicle systems (minus the water
> jet). I could see how it might be done. I bet I could do it for $100K,
> or less, minus my labor. ;-)
> <
>
> You've been watching too much Junk Yard Wars (Scrap Heap Challange in the
> UK).
>
> ;-)
>
> I LIKE it.
>
> Dave

More like Monster Garage, on the Discovery Channel here in the Colonies.
One of the challenges was, in fact, to turn a new VW Beetle into an
amphicar- They're given the car and a budget- about $2,000? to build a
transformer. In this case, they succedded but just barely, ol' Jesse James'
feet were pretty wet by the time he made it back to dry land.