Re: the Amphicar, reborn...

To: "Dave Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: the Amphicar, reborn...
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:50:43 -0700
Cc: <gprtech@frontiernet.net>, "Dave Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Message text written by "Kinderlehrer"
>More like Monster Garage, on the Discovery Channel here in the Colonies.
One of the challenges was, in fact, to turn a new VW Beetle into an
amphicar- They're given the car and a budget- about $2,000? to build a
transformer. In this case, they succedded but just barely, ol' Jesse James'
feet were pretty wet by the time he made it back to dry land.
<

That $2000 budget is pretty bogus.  I watched an episode where they
converted a limo to a fire truck.  After converting it spending under $2000
(not counting all the freebies) their painter came in and layed on a $3000
paint job (all off budget, mind you).

JYW, on the other hand will "stock" the yard with stratigic items I've
never seen in a junk yart nor would I expect to see in a junk yard.  But
still a lot of fun.

Dave

Yeah it is a bit of a farce since they get things like a engines and wheels
donated, not ot mention the large store of scrap pieces and supplies they
seem to have at hand.  I also think the time-line is bogus. Doing those
paint jobs in one night with all the masking, multiple colors, coats,- seems
pretty remarkable by itself.  Yes, still fun to watch - when the wife is
otherwise occupied that is.
Bob