RE: offset persistance!

To: "triu autox" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: offset persistance!
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 07:48:16 -0700
> I am fairly new to the world of TR3's and have been trying to find out the
> answer to this question.  Please help!
>
> What is the offset of our wheels?  Will a 14"x 7" wheel with a
> positive offset
> of 3.5" work?  (Assuming the bolt pattern is correct)
>
> Sorry to be so persistant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul, sometimes you have to accept that no one knows the answer ...

However, if I understand you right, those wheels have the mounting surface
flush with the inner bead seat, meaning they will stick out over 7" from the
hub surface.  On a TR3, that will be beyond the fender, so your only hope of
making them fit is to use smaller diameter tires that will fit under the lip
of the fender rather than inside it.  You can also expect rapid wheel
bearing wear and possibly even hub/axle failures, as the large offset will
greatly increase the forces involved.  Also note that many states prohibit
cars with tires that extend beyond the fenders.

All in all, a poor idea IMO.

Randall