offset persistance!

To: "triu autox" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: offset persistance!
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 13:54:58 -0500
Paul wrote:

> > What is the offset of our [TR3] wheels?  Will a 14"x 7"
> >  wheel with a positive offset of 3.5" work?

And Randall replied:

> ...if I understand you right, those wheels have the mounting surface
> flush with the inner bead seat, meaning they will stick out over 7"
> from the hub surface. On a TR3, that will be beyond the fender....

That's what he SAID, but I suspect (I hope?) that he meant that the wheels
have a 3.5" backspace -- which means that they'd have no offset at all. I
don't know whether 7"-wide wheels will fit on a TR3 without interference,
but wide wheels lead to wide tires, which lead to high cornering forces and
broken axles.

And that's most _definitely_ a poor idea.

Jim Hill