RE: Ignition switch

To: "Bill Bryant" <bryant@sonic.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ignition switch
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:26:24 -0700
> I'm not sure which is the culprit, the Ignition switch or the starter
> button...

Does the fuel gage move ?  How about the "ignition" lamp ?  There is only
one contact in the ignition switch, so if it's the problem, the other things
won't work either.

> About half the time when I go to start the tr3b, I get nothing at all...no
> click, no connection....
> Sooo, I hold the starter button down and jiggle the key around and voila,
> normally....
> Only problem is that it is happening more often.
> Can I rebuild either of these?

You can drill the rivets out of the ignition switch, which lets you
disassemble, clean and lubricate it.  I reassembled mine with small machine
screws, although pop rivets might do.  But I don't know of any rebuild parts
available, except to replace the entire switch.

Never tried doing the starter switch, AFAIK mine is still original.

Also check the wiring carefully, those old Lucar connectors seem especially
troublesome.  IMO that's more likely to be your problem.

Randall