RE: TR3A gasoline overflow in SU carb

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A gasoline overflow in SU carb
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:16:52 -0700
> I had the same problem with my 66 TR4A. I replaced the front float needle
> and seat. The problem moved to the rear carb??? I replaced the rear float
> needle and seat and the problem moved back up front??? (Arghh).
>
> I finally replaced the fuel pump (mechanical) and the problem is gone.
> Apparently one of the ways the pumps fail is that they no longer self
> regulate and will generate TOO much pressure (Strong diaphragm, weak check
> valves).

It's possible, but I doubt it.  IMO your problem was that the old pump was
shedding some kind of crud into the fuel (or possibly a soft line that got
replaced with the pump).  The pump design is such that it's virtually
impossible for them to fail such that they put out too much pressure.

The output stroke of the pump is performed by a spring, the output pressure
is determined by the force exerted by that spring.  I suppose, if the spring
or the diaphragm somehow got stronger ... but weak check valves wouldn't do
it.

Randall