TR3 Ring Gap

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Ring Gap
From: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@qnet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:45:38 -0700
Cc: "Jon Paschke" <JPASCHKE@bak.rr.com>, <lzaninovich@bak.rr.com>
     Awhile back I bought a set of pistons, rings and liners from Joe
Esposito on Ebay. They came without directions and I've lost track on how to
get ahold of Joe.
     The piston rings were very tight with no end gap.
     My two manuals list two different ring end gaps. My Bentley manual
states that they should be .003" to .015", which is quite a spread. My
Haynes manual has it a bit higher at .015" to .038". A good friend of mine
suggests .010. He feels that tighter may cause the rings to break.
     The liners are "Coventry Engineering" brand and the rings appear to be
cast iron.
     What does eveyone else gap their rings to? Any words of wisdom?
     If I had to do it over again, I would have bought the forged pistons &
liners from Ken Gillanders at BFE.
    TIA

     Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi, CA