RE: TR3 Ring Gap

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Ring Gap
From: "D&B Lambert" <blambert@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:03:32 -0700
All,

I guess I'm confused/uneducated here, being unfamiliar with how the
internals of an engine really act under extremely high revs.  Doesn't the
stroke of an engine remain constant during the entire RPM range?  If so, the
wouldn't the top ring to ridge distance always be the same no matter what
the revs were?  Or, do the internals (rods, and pistons, etc.) flex or
distort enough during high revving to cause the piston to actually travel
higher in the liner than "normal"?

Also, I think someone mentioned revving the engine to the ultimate max RPM
occasionally during break-in to cause the ridge to form "high" enough to
accept this ultimate stroke.  Isn't the ridge formed by the very repetitive
scraping action of the rings on the cylinder walls over a long period of
time, so in order to change the ridge "height", wouldn't you have to rev the
engine to the max on a regular basis during the entire life of the engine?

Thanks, Dennis (not much experience with high revving engines; I drive my
TR3 pretty conservatively)