Re: TR3 Ring Gap

To: Randall Young <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 Ring Gap
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 01:18:18 -0600
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Randall Young wrote:

> However, I doubt that going too tight will cause the rings to break, rather
> it will cause binding and cylinder wall damage.  IMO, top ring breakage is
> usually due to the ring hitting the cylinder ridge, which can happen if the
> engine is revved beyond it's normal limit, even if that limit is below red
> line.  IOW, if you've gone 30k miles without ever exceeding 4500 rpm, and
> then take it to 5000, you might break a ring.

While I have seen it happen a couple of times in engines (not Triumph, or
wet-sleeve) that were too new to have
developed a ridge (in both instances, severe overheating from coolant loss,
which I think caused the rings to stick and
break, but wasn't sure), Randall's assessment is more likely correct. It's one
of the reasons why best practice during
break-in is to vary engine speed frequently, and toward the end of the break-in
period, to do little bursts up toward
the redline. That ensures that the ridge forms at the very topmost extent of
ring travel.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.