Ramps vs Stands

To: Scott Tilton <stilton@protoprod.com>
Subject: Ramps vs Stands
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:21:44 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h8PCMvF8028448
Message text written by Scott Tilton
>The Sears ramps also have nice little rubber feet on them.
These do help to keep it from sliding away from the car when you drive the
front wheels up on them.
It only helps though.
<

Which reminds me of an incident way back when I first got started in the
LBC biz.  One day I borrowed a pair of ramps and a jack to work on the car.
 Setting the ramps on the garage floor I attempted to drive the car up onto
the ramps but the ramps merely slid back on the slick garage floor (smooth
concrete).  No problem, I just used the jack to raise the car and inserted
the ramps underneath.  When the service job was complete, I then proceeded
to back the car off of the ramps.  Needless to say the front of the car
dropped quickly as the ramps shot across the floor into the beer fridge (we
didn't call it a beer fridge at the time but that is what it was).
Fortunately no damage was done (no beers were harmed and the car was
unscratched (it was an MG anyway)) but now that I have spoilers on the
front of my TR6 and my TR8, I am unsure if the spoiler will clear.

So, as Scott pointed out, it is important that the ramps remain stationary
when you attempt to drive on and off of them.  They may work well enough on
a driveway where the surface is intentionally rough but certainly not on a
smooth garage floor.

Be carefull

Dave