RE: Ramps vs Stands

To: "'Dave Massey'" <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: RE: Ramps vs Stands
From: Scott Tilton <stilton@protoprod.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:52:28 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Among the things I've tried to help out with the slick floor .. one thing
that worked remarkably well was old bath mats.
The kind with the rubber backing on them.  Stick a couple of those under
your ramps and they aren't sliding anywhere.

Second comment .. . when I jack a car up and lower it down on to ramps . . I
always stop once about half the weight is down on the ramps and get out a
dead blow hammer or a block of wood and give the ramps a couple of good
whacks to slide them outwards away from the center of the car.
As the suspension compresses .  . the car essentially tries to put all its
weight on the outer edges of the tires.
Not problem on the ground, but on a ramp . . . I've actually seen cars let
down on to ramps and the ramps are literally balancing on their outer edge.
Kinda scary looking.

Same thing will happen at the rear of an IRS car.

Solid axle rears are no problem . .they drop straight down on the ramps and
don't have any tendency to try and topple them.

Scott Tilton