Re: Triumph Bicycles

To: bbrewer@qnet.com ("Bill Brewer"), triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumph Bicycles
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:23:49 -0400
In a message dated 9/26/2003 10:15:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
bbrewer@qnet.com writes:

>      I recently acquired a Triumph bicycle. All original with decals, three
> speed, really nice. It is stamped on it 1964 and says that it was made in
> Nottingham, England.
>
>      1. Which other  listers have a Triumph bicycle? I know that there are a
> few.

I have two: a blue "girl's" style that was my sister's from new, circa 1965;
and a black "boy's" bicycle, late 1960s or very early 1970s (don't remember
exactly). There are many others of us with them as well.

So far, the blue one has been to three VTR Conventions: 1998, 1999 and 2002.
That's more VTR Conventions than any one of my Triumph cars has seen. :-)

>      2. Raleigh's were made in Nottingham as well. Can someone tell me if
> the Triumph brand had just become "badge engineering" by this time, or were
> they a bonified competitior?

Raleigh, by the 1950s or 1960s, had bought up virtually all the other "classic"
British bicycle names, including Triumph, Rollfast, Rudge, Humber, etc., etc.
Truimph was somewhat "mid-range" in pricing, with the Raleigh name being the
highest level (I have a wonderful Raleigh Sprite with the Sturmey-Archer in-hub
five-speed -- a fairly rare and somewhat quirky/not too reliable setup). Brands
such as Rollfast (Yeah, I've got one of those, with an added-on Bendix
"stick-shift" to control the S-A three-speed hub -- WAY COOL mid-1960s mod on
my part back then).

>      3. Can someone tell me when they quit making Triumph bicycles?

Raleigh still owns the name, although I don't know for sure if they're using it
currently.

>      4. Can anyone tell me if there is a Triumph bicycle owners club or
> parts suppliers?

Probably enough time on Google would reveal something.

>      5. Are there any references dealing with Triumph bicycles?

Again, Google will produce a number of references to Triumphs, Raleighs,
Sturmey-Archer, etc. (All my bookmarks are "at home" right now.)

>      This bike is the perfect ramp vehicle for Buttonwillow at the next
> MOSS British VARA/Extravaganza in May.

Absolutely. The stories some folks might share with you about Triumph bicycles
and race tracks and such. I found it exceptionally useful at the VTR Convention
in Wisconsin in 1998, as the activity was spread between two hotels close
together but not adjacent to each other. I also "autocrossed" the bike, but for
some reason my Bates-Dunlop-shod 26 x 1 3/8 wire wheel didn't trip the
electronic timer. :-(

--Andy Mace (with almost as many British bicycles as Triumph cars!)