suspension work

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: suspension work
From: "joe maher" <jmaher0343@bresnan.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 20:21:39 -0700
I am starting to plan my suspension rebuild strategy and the parts I need to
accomplish this.  I hope I can get some input.
Background:  All the rubber bushings and covers on the front and rear
suspension are shot (original).  I do not know if the front or rear shocks
have every been replaced.  The odometer shows 92,xxx miles and I have had
two semi triumph people say that they think it is right.  The goal for the
car is dependable daily driver I can have fun in the mountains with.  The
USAF is moving us from Cheyenne WY to Colorado Springs this summer, so
mountain handling will be important.
To begin with, out of the TRF catalog, I was looking at getting the Front
Suspension and Steering Magic Kit with the urethane bushings, (part
RFK1334).
1)  Would that have everything or would I need a few other pieces?
Regarding this, I have the how to restore a TR3 by Roger Williams.  In it he
talks about using a TR4 trunnion and a pair of TR 4 top wishbones.  Any
thoughts on that?
2)  I think I need to replace the shocks, will stock shocks be ok or should
I go with a spax or koni?  I have to admit that I would prefer
non-adjustable shocks just because it will be that much less for me to
monkey with and I know nothing about the hows and whys of adjusting.  But, I
want my car to handle.
3)  Should I replace the front springs, too?  If so, stock or something like
a high performance spring (if someone makes one)?
4)  I plan on replacing the rear shocks.  Again, is stock ok or heavy duty
ones like an Apple Hydralics rebuild?
5)  I also need to replace the rear springs as one side sags a little, do
they make performance rear springs?  Or is stock ok?
6)  Now here is the big question, is all this something I can do?  I am not
an expert mechanic, but I am also not lost under a car.  Everything looks
straight forward, but looks can be deceiving.

thanks,
Joe
59' TR3A TS57347L  in storage, needs work, but driveable