Re: TR2,3,& 4 Info needed

To: "Richard Feibusch" <rfeibusch1@earthlink.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <british-cars@autox.team.net>, <vtr@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR2,3,& 4 Info needed
From: "Rich Scotti" <Rich@Scotti.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 10:30:37 -0500
> 1) What attracted you to the Triumph TR2,3, or 4 and what are your
> favourite features and aspects of these cars?
I have a 66TR4A IRS with a Surrey top owned since 1983. Wanted a Jag but
couldnt afford it. Decided a TR4A was a good compromise. The car has all the
stuff you want in a sports car..... Italian styling , disk brakes, Rack and
Pinion steering, 4 wheel ind. suspension, Removable hardtop, pre-smog
engine. The mechanicals are simple and rugged. Parts are available and
affordable. The Surrey top transforms the car with both good looks and
utility. The wind noise and pesky wind-in-the-neck are much less with this
rare option installed. The torquey engine makes the car a blast to drive and
is rock solid. Contrary to the myth they are very reliable!

> 2) What are the less-than-brilliant aspects of the car? where did they
fall short?
The drivers position is miserably uncomfortable. The console digs into the
side of your calfs and the steering wheel presses against your thighs. With
the stock suspension setup the handling is horrible. The rear sags under
power and bounces around corners. With the heavy duty springs and a front
swaybar they handle great but shake the fillings out of your teeth. bottom
line.... The TR3, 4 and 4A make horrible cars when you measure them as
appliences. They are wonderful toys and are fun to drive and maintain. I
imagine they didnt sell well with secretaries and similar faint-of-heart
that really wanted a mustang.

> 3) What should a prospective buyer look for when considering buying one of
these classic Triumph?
All others have mentioned rust. The battery box (hard to see) and
floorboards are a common rust spots. Repairs are difficult and expensive.
Weak suspension.... design faults include front lower a-arm brackets. These
are likely to be broken already at the frame (if not ready to break) if
larger tires are fitted. Should be replaced with TR6 brackets and frame
gussets. Rear suspension (IRS) has a design flaw that will cause the diff
unit to be pulled away from its mounts. Symptom is a knock during
acceleration. Repair involves body off the frame. Contrary to the advice of
some of the others on the list I'd prefer a car that was restored to make it
more drivable and useable than a car returned to perfect originality. Modern
features like 3 points seat belts, electronic ignition, powder coating,
alternators, and even 5-speed transmissions all make the car easier to live
withday to day. I hope the TR never turns into a museum piece but rather
continues to be the car taken to picnics and weekend road trips.