RE: Windscreen Rebuilding and Rechroming

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Windscreen Rebuilding and Rechroming
From: "D&B Lambert" <blambert@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:25:58 -0800
During my rebuild a few years ago I posed the same question to the list
concerning finisher brackets, as my TR-3A (TS77028L) also did not have them.
I got varied answers as to whether they are critical or not; most folks have
them installed, but some do not.  I do know that my windshield stanchions
have holes cast for fasteners at that spot, but are not tapped at all, and
in fact show absolutely no signs of ever having had any kind of fastener
inserted at any time; the holes are still "casting rough".  All that said, I
decided to go as per original (for my car), and assemble things without
them.  Seems to be working fine without.

Also, be sure the lower rubber seal is not stretched before cutting to
length.  I let mine sit a few days between installing the seal in the
windshield frame and cutting the seal to size prior to fitting the
windshield assembly to the car.  Do the same for the top seal before cutting
to final length.  I agree: they do not go under the tennon plates, but just
kind of hang out there on the ends.

Dennis