RE: Windscreen Rebuilding and Rechroming

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Windscreen Rebuilding and Rechroming
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:52:06 -0800
> All that said, I
> decided to go as per original (for my car), and assemble things without
> them.  Seems to be working fine without.

Just out of curiosity Dennis, have you ever driven the car in a heavy rain ?

Seems to me that's what those plates are for, to attempt to seal the ends of
the rubber strip to the stanchion against water.

And BTW, even on cars with the original plates (like mine), the holes are
not tapped and are indeed rough.  The screws are "self tapping", in the
sense that they form their own threads in the stanchion as they're driven in
the first time.  These threads do not penetrate the chrome and are not very
deep, thus they're quite hard to see.

Cheers
Randall