Re: Sidescreens

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sidescreens
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:28:45 -0700
Mo and Dave MacKay wrote:

>...I don't think the sidescreens that came with my car are correct. I'm
>guessing that they might be aftermarket replacements from JC Whitney...
>... If I remove the
>aluminium cover, would they be good candidates for refurbishing?

Look very like the ones that came with my TR3A 20+ years ago.  You're
quite right that Whitney featured these for many years.

Well, they don't look much like the originals and I doubt refurbishing
will make them look much closer to originals.... just too many differences.

That said, they appear to be fairly sound and refurbishing them to
original JCW standards would (IMO) make an interesting period accessory
for your car.  Anybody with a spare 500 bucks can have 'correct' side
curtains... here you have something a little different that may be worth
preserving.

(BTW -- a look in the TR3 shoebox reveals that a pair of side curtains
from TRF were $250 in 1982 -- pretty pricey considering the car only
cost me $1400.)

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
Mt Lemmon, AZ