RE: TR6 rear Bushing replacement procedure

To: "Scott Tilton" <stilton@protoprod.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 rear Bushing replacement procedure
From: "Scott Suhring" <suhringtr36@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:11:55 -0500
Scott:

I used the following method for removing and installing the rubber bushings
on my '70 TR6 trailing arm and have used it on other similar jobs.  As was
previously mentioned, get some PVC piping that is slightly larger than the
bushing opening and slightly smaller than the opening.  You can cut it down
so that it is a bit longer than length of the bushings.  Then you want to
get a length of threaded rod or a really long bolt that will reach the
length of both pipes, the trailing arm bushing hole and about 2" beyond
either end.  What you are going to do is get a couple of large machine
washers that will fit over the end of the pipe and then a number of washers
that the bolt/rod will just fit through and a number (get a good dozen or
so) of nuts for the threaded rod/bolt.  What you will be doing is in essence
running the bolt/rod through the large washer with smaller washers to keep
it centered over the pipe, through the pipe, through the center of the bush
out the other end and through  the smaller pipe (this only needs to be the
length of the trailing arm bushing hole) and finally through the other
washer that sits on the end of the pipe.  The end of the larger pipe will
take two nuts used like jam nuts, snug up against the washer.  The other end
you use one nut against the washer and start turning the nut as if
tightening it against the washer.  In essence, you are forcing the smaller
diameter pipe into the bushing and thus forcing it out of the trailing arm
and into the other larger pipe.  To put new bushings into the trailing arms,
just do the reverse.

Email me off line if you have any questions. I have all of the piping and
washers in a bag that I could measure for correct sizes, etc. if you need
this.

Scott Suhring
Mechanicsburg, PA
'70 TR6