RE: Lucas Masters: Please help me get my car legal.

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lucas Masters: Please help me get my car legal.
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:17:58 -0800
> When dealing with old LBC's and BBC's with Lucas fuses..............after
> 20-40 years.........they can corrode inside.........they look
> great........but
> with a continuity check.......they are bad........and then maybe,
> even while
> checking,  the end just slips off in your hands...

FWIW, I have seen the exact same thing with a nearly new Buss fuse, not just
once but three times in fairly short succession.  I eventually traced the
problem to a poor contact between the fuse and the fuse holder, not enough
to cause a noticeable drop, but apparently enough to heat up and melt the
solder inside the fuse during a long trip at night.

I've also had fuse holders open up internally.

Randall