Re: Tools

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tools
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:40:25 -0500
Yes, Marty, tools are right handy to have. I remember the days, back when I
first started messing about with cars, that I only had half an old
paintbrush, a tin can, a pointy stick and a box of rocks to work with. I
don't know how many times I'd bang a finger or thumb with a rock while
whacking on the various rusted nuts or bolts, and wish someone would invent
something better. That pointy stick was great for niggling little bits out
of corners they'd fallen into. sometimes I'd use it to slowly turn a loose
screw, a quarter at a time, until I had gotten it almost tight, then I'd
bang it with a rock. The sheer pleasure of stripping and repainting with the
same ol' half paintbrush can only be imagined, and I found the same brush
could be used for degreasing. But, for all their usefulness, I must admit
that my favorite was that old tin can. I swear, I must have used it for 90%
of the operations on each and every restoration I did, until I got some of
those new fangled regulation hand tools. That tin can was certainly the most
important bit. You see it wasn't just an old "Chock Full'o'Nuts" coffee can
that had been around forever, it was a treasured piece of my family
heritage. It had been in the family for years, and was a well loved and
cherished family heirloom, a tool passed from father to son. The dents and
dings in it only served to prove how beloved it was. The near crushing it
got once(when it rolled under a wheel) just added to its flavor. Yes, that
truly is the right word- flavor. And that flavor was "Ol' Gumption 2 Week
Old Genuine Kentucky Bourbon". That can was kept full for each and every
process of the restoration. I must say, if that can wasn't kept full(despite
constant attempts to the contrary) I doubt I would have attempted half the
auto work I did with my simple box of tools...

Scott
(never leave ME snowed in with a computer and e-mail access...)