Re: TR4 differential Timken bearing numbers

To: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 differential Timken bearing numbers
From: "Michael D. Porter" <portermd@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:14:44 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
J.C. Hassall wrote:

> At 14:33 1/23/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> In case anyone cares, here are the Timken numbers for the TR4, solid
>> axle TR4A differential bearings:
>>
>> Moss item number, p/n, Timken number, use
>> 21      125-600         3188S           pinion head
>> 24      525-090         15100SR pinion tail
>> 8       525-070         16150           carrier bearings
>>
>> I don't have current pricing, but I'll post that info as soon as I get
>> it.
>

> Listers,
>
> I posted this a few days ago, only to find out that the number etched in
> the cone is NOT the bearing number.  Apparently the cone ("outer race"
> to this former Mechanical Engineer) can be replaced independently of the
> bearing bits.  I wouldn't think of replacing one without the other, but
> I digress.

I forgot to mention this when the subject first came up, but all good bearings
are also graded--what's known as the ABEC
number. One is for general purpose, two (maybe three) is for automotive use,
with the highest grade, precision bearings
being ABEC-7.  If bearing life is an issue, going to a higher grade of the same
bearing may solve the problem.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.