Relays

To: "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>
Subject: Relays
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:27:45 -0500
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net> i2UJTp8A022463
Message text written by "T. S. White"
>I have seen the subject of relays discussed here.  I am an absolute
vacuum when it comes to electronics.  It has been sugested I put my fuel
pump on a relay.  Where do I get one and what would I look for, i.e.
voltage, amps, watts, etc.  Thanks.
<

You can find automotive relays at any autoparts store or any Radio Shack.
You can also get them mail order from Digikey.com but they have a $25
minimum.  Mouser.com has no minimum and carries a very similar product
line.  I recomend the Pottter/Brumfield...er Tyco VF4 series relay.  Get a
12 volt DC coil.

When wiring it up connect the coil to a switched 12 volt source (green or
white) wire and ground and connect one contact to 12 volts (brown wire)
through a 5 amp fuse.  Connect the other contact to the hot lead on the
pump and the other lead from the pump goes to ground.

Dave