Re: TR3 R&P Conversion Horn Button

To: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@qnet.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 R&P Conversion Horn Button
From: "Bob Westerdale" <Bob.Westerdale@ametek.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 10:56:05 -0400 |February 13, 2003) at 05/03/2004 10:56:09 AM, Serialize complete at 05/03/2004 10:56:09 AM FILETIME=[C4DE7630:01C4311E]
Cc: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Bill-
        I installed the same R&P setup, but used an early Spit or GT-6
upper steering column that had the turn sigs, high beams and horn button
ring all ready to go.  The steering column shaft  and the surrounding tube
fit the under-dash clamps,  I remember having to make up a coupling to
connect to the rack's shaft, no big deal.   The wiring is
straightforward....    and reliable if done with solder connections and
shrink tubing.   I doubt there is a way to retain the control head in the
R&P conversion.
Cheers,
        Bob Westerdale
        59 3A  TS 36967

     I just installed a British Auto Restorations rack & pinion
conversion.
I also put in Revington TR's close tolerance teflon steering column
bushings. What a revelation! The car drives beautifully. The steering is
wonderful and direct.
     Now comes the tricky part. With the R & P conversion, you lose
functionality of the turn signals and horn button. I've seen in Bob
Schaller's book "More BS about Triumphs" where he put in some sort of slip
rings on the steering column so the horn button could still work. Has
anyone
else done this or come up with another way for the horn on the control
head
to still work with the R & P conversion?
     TIA,

     Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi, CA