Re: Spitfire suspension

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire suspension
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 22:28:14 -0400
On 5 May 2004 at 17:24, Frank Magnusson wrote:

> I have some Spitfire parts that I am going to sell, among which are a
> complete front and rear suspension assembly.
> I don't have any idea what year or if they are for a 1500 or Mk1, 2,
> 3.  How can I tell, or are they the same for all years?

Hmm.  Joe Curry will probably have more definitive answers, but I can
tell you a few things.

Don't know about the front, but I'd guess they are all the same.
(Could check in a parts catalogue to be sure, couldn't we? :-)

For the rear, if the spring has 4 leaves, and all but one have a
notch in the middle to act as a pivot, it is a "swing spring" for the
MkIV or 1500.  The the Mk1/2/3 had a 7-leaf spring, with all leaves
bolted solidly to the diff.  Note however that the swing-spring
version has two different axle lengths, the longer one coming in for
the 1500 in 1973.

When you say a complete rear suspension setup, does that mean the
diff too, onto which the spring is bolted?

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com