Bench testing trans w/ OD.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bench testing trans w/ OD.
From: aribert@c3net.net
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 14:07:32 -0400 (EDT)
I have finally finished rebuilding the transmission in my GT6, 4 months
after starting the process (14 months after pulling the trans out of the
car - due to other non car related constraints last year).  I wanted to
test the funtion of the OD unit prior to reinstalling the trans into the
car.  BTW, the OD was working fine prior to removal from the vehicle.

I used a 1/2 inch drill motor to spin the input shaft in a CW rotation
(when looking into the bell housing). I had added the trans lube about an
hour prior to trying the OD to give the lube time to flow into the OD.
Prior to powering up the OD solinoid, I rotated the input shaft via the
drill motor (at 550RPM) in all gears for a couple of minutes - again to
help get lube into the OD unit.

I powered up the OD solinoid, and then applied the input rotation via the
drill motor.  After shutting the drill motor off, I noticed that I was
unable to rotate the OD output flange in a CCW direction regardless of
where the gear shift lever was positioned.  Eventally, I used a plastic
tipped 5 lb BFH to gently tap the OD case.  THat caused the OD to become
unstuck.  I have not tried to rotate the trans w/ the OD powered on since
then.

Am I correct in assuming that the TR 6 cyl engine rotates CW when viewed
from the front of the engine?  Could the OD have become stuck, AFTER
energizing, from having been drained of lube back in march of 2003?

Second trans related issue.  Is a small ammount of stiction normal in a
freshly rebuild transmission?  Frequently, when shifting out of gear, the
the output shaft will rotate when the input shaft is rotated. This appears
to happen when shifting out of most if not all gears.  By grabbing the OD
output flange, I am able to immediately decouple the synchro to synchro
hub and stop the rotation of the output flange.  I observed this condition
prior to installing the trans topcover but assumed that it was caused by
my fingers operating on the snychro hub outer rings not the same as the
shift forks operating on the syncho hub outer rings.

Awaiting your responses out in Digest Land.  I hope to get responses prior
to Saturday morning when I plan on installing the assembly back into the
car.  I so much dislike installing gearboxes (especially ones that install
from the inside of the car) and I do not want to have to an extra R&R
because I overlooked something.